Saturday, July 11, 2009

Me and my shadow

Sorry for the lack of posts lately...been busy writing newsletters, sprucing up the shop and getting my niece trained to run the shop in my absence. I am typing this while traveling along I-90 (how cool is that??!) on my way to pick up the kiddos to bring them to Chicago. We'll have them here for a few weeks and then we're taking off for Cedar Point for a few days. We'll hook up with my husband's sister and her family and do a little splashing in the water park and roller coaster-ing at the amusement park. So, just to let you know, the shop will be closed Wed/Thur/Fri June 24, 25 & 26. The shop will reopen on Saturday, June 27, thanks to Pam's willingness to run things while I'm gone! I will post a note on the front door, update my Facebook page and send out an email. I hope no one is disappointed by driving out to the shop on those days only to find it closed!

Here's what I've been doing the last week: we went for a very long walk through the Waterfall Glen forest preserve in search of the elusive waterfall. It wasn't really elusive but yours truly seriously miscalculated the distance of the waterfall from our house! After walking 4 miles, we realized it would be another mile and a half before we reached the falls. Sorry, no can do. There wasn't enough time and Stefanie's feet were starting to hurt her. So, we turned back and hobbled home. Every chance we could, we stopped to admire the wildlife. Froggy-went-a-courting can be see out on the log:



I remember that song from when I was a kid. On long car trips, my Aunt would sing, "Froggy went a courtin' and he did ride, um hum, um hum...." Now everytime I see a frog, that song runs through my head.

We also happened upon some toddlers out frolicking in the pond:



But, as in any adventure story, there has to be a villian. We saw a sneaky snake hiding in the cattails, hopefully just taking a nap. We didn't bother too much with him; just snapped the pic and went on our way. We hoped he wasn't waiting for a chance to munch on some duck for lunch!



Since arriving in Chicago, my niece, Stefanie, has been stitching her little heart out. I sent her "Mermaid Sampler" by Shepherd's Bush a few months ago but she hadn't started it yet. She was afraid because it was on linen and she had only stitched on aida. Here is her finished sampler, specialty stitches and all:



Stefanie takes to stitching like a fish to water. It's wonderful to have a young lady to teach to pass along this art. After all, someone has to inherit all my stash when I die, right? Here's a close-up of the mermaid. She is really cute. Stefcha, you did a great job!



We just stopped for breakfast so it's time to get back on the road. Have a great weekend, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment